Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Goodbye Van

Last month I said goodbye to my little minivan. It was a good little van... I really liked it, so I was pretty sad. Here's what happened:
Thursday morning, my 30th birthday, we had breakfast, got Anna off to school and David and Megan got ready. I was scheduled to voulunteer in Anna's class at 9:30, and a friend in the ward was watching David. Megan had an Easter party for preschool at the park at 9:30 also. So as always we were rushing out the door. I backed out of my driveway and asked Megan to buckle up. She tried to get buckled, but her booster seat slid out from under her. I was about half of a football feild down my road and I turned to help push the booster seat back up. The van kept going apperantly in the direction of off the road into the fence. It is a pretty steep side off the road, and my Dad has a metal pipe fence around his water trough. I had just enough time to turn back around realize what was happening and feel my heart jump out of my chest. A neighbor actually heard the crash and came running out of her house to check on us. We were all ok. Megan was in the seat next to the side door and window, and she got some cuts from the glass. I didn't even see them at first, she was to panicked to let me look at her much. She jumped out of the van and screamed "I'm going home." She ran off down the road and I got David unbuckled and followed her home. By the time I caught up she came running out of the house with blood all over her shirt yelling "I don't wanna go to the hospital!" She was so cute.. and upset. She said "I want Heavenly Father to make it all better RIGHT now!" and "I'm sorry I'll be a good girl and wear my seatbelt." Poor thing. It was traumatic for us both. I was pretty shaky, but tried to stay calm and not cry in front of her. We got in Wayne's car and headed for preschool, I called Wayne and my Dad to let them know what was going on (thats when I broke down). Meanwhile some oilfeild workers stopped at my van so I talked to them and assured them I was alright. I guess they called the police because by the time I cleaned and bandaged Megan up and got her calmed down and to her party I got a call from a Sherriff and had to go back to fill out an accident report. Silly me I thought it was only my van that was wrecked and my Dad's fence but... I guess if there is more than $1500 in damage then a report has to get filled out. I didn't realize how bad it really was until Wayne pulled it out and drove it home.... he was sure it was totaled, and guess what he was right. :(
 

It's all working out and I am really grateful that we were watched over and protected. I can't help thinking about how much worse it could have been... We bought a Ford Expedition from our friends, it was good timing and a good price. I'm getting used to it. But I do really wish I could just go back in time and take a couple extra seconds to buckle up!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Oh Stacy! I had no idea you went through all this! I was just thinking this morning I hadn't looked at your blog for awhile, so I pulled it up. My goodness, what an ordeal. I'm glad you're all fine. Did you get the Expedition from the Boltons? I'll have to learn from your experience and make sure we're all buckled up before we head out! :) Take care!