Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Adventures of No TV Week

Last week was no tv week. We turned ours off for Mon - Fri. Wayne said "I think you're crazy", but I wanted to try it. Typically we watch 2-4 hours a day! I was all ready for big battles from my girls. The first day was a little hard, but not as bad as I expected. Anna said "Let's just start no tv tommarow Mom" and Megan had a couple of begging moments. But I just stuck with it and helped them find other things to do. The nice weather outside really helped. We made treats, rode bikes, played with friends, had picnics, read stories in the hammock, climed trees, visited Grandma (thanks mom) and played with our new baby kittens. Sometimes I was wishing we could just turn it on for a little bit,(when Megan was napping and Anna was bored, when I was folding laundry, and late at night trying to put kids to bed) but I really wanted to stick with it. On wednesday I was amazed that they didn't even ask to watch tv! I didn't think it was possible.
All in all it was a good experience and I think we'll do it every year. It really is possible to live just one week without it. Here are some of the things I learned:
1. I can say no, my kids will eventually accept it.
2. We play and imagine a lot more without it (we have to!)
3. A lot of times it is just background noise and it can be alot more peaceful with it off.
4. We get more done. Wayne finished his deck and stairs for the shed and some electrical work, thanks honey!
5. We have a lot of fun together: On Friday we drove up to Uinta Canyon and saw: deer, elk, a moose and beaver!

1 comment:

Caddie said...

It gets easier and easier to forget TV. I have 4 around here and haven't watched any tv in years. Bought three to sell in my little store. Haven't watched much tv in about 40 years. I have such freedom and read when I need entertainment or relaxation. TV is really poison to our souls. Throw it out.